Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Announcing WMIFF Actress of the Month, Nova Reid from England. Nova plays the lead role in "Dirty Step Upstage". She is also referred to as "Super Nov


WMIFF Indie Actor Of The Month

Nova Reid







Interview with actress Nova Reid who is nominated as Best Actress in the World Music & Independent Film Festival







WMIFF MAG - When did you start acting?







Nova Reid- I have always been in the performing
industry in one way or another. I was 7 or 8 when I first stepped on a stage. I
got my first professional role when I was 18.










WMIFF MAG - I understand that you are quite the
singer, is singing more of your passion or is acting?







Nova Reid- Oh really? (nervous laugh!) One of the
reasons I was cast in Dirty Step Upstage (DSU) was because of my voice and
ironically I don’t actually appear on the soundtrack! Time constraints and
diary clashes just didn’t allow for it unfortunately.





Nova Reid- I think I share an equal passion.
Although if I am honest I think acting comes more naturally to me.







WMIFF MAG - Who inspires you to act and sing?







Nova Reid- Oh wow, lots of artists / people inspire
me for different reasons. I’m inspired by the raw talent of Gabourey Sidibe,
the quirkiness of, Ruth Wilson, the elegance of Lena Horne & Dame Helen
Mirren, the strength of my mum.







Singers that inspire me range from Dame Shirley
Bassey, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Kirk Franklin & Co, Stevie Wonder...I
could go on!







WMIFF MAG - What are some of the things in the
acting or singing world that you are currently doing now?







Nova Reid- The singing world is keeping me fairly
busy with gigs at the moment as the wedding season is upon us. I also recently
shot a commercial with Emma Bunton (Baby Spice) for a Glee inspired reality
show that has just launched over in the
UK.










WMIFF MAG - Tell us about your role in "Dirty
Step Upstage" and what you learned from playing that part.







Nova Reid- I play the role of Supanova in Dirty Step
Upstage, she is an aspiring singer, extremely naive (which gets her into
trouble) a little manipulative and definitely a women scorned. She sounds like
a delight doesn’t she! haha. She is quite cold and a bit of a ‘diva’ to begin
with, but I think you slowly warm to her once you begin to understand her
motives and see her vulnerability.







DSU was my first experience in front of the camera,
I was terrified! I originally come from a theatre background - so I was
learning on the job - big time! It was an intense shoot. I learnt that the
final take is NEVER the final take! (laughs) I learnt to come out of my comfort
zone and survive, there was no time for insecurities to take over. About 90% of
the dialogue was improvised so there was no script to hide behind, it was
exciting!







WMIFF MAG - Will there be a sequel to "Dirty
Step Upstage"?







Nova Reid- Oooo, you’ll have to ask Amber Moelter
the director about that one!




It has certainly been left open. I guess it depends
on the response we get from DSU first.







WMIFF MAG - What is the ideal role that you would
absolutely love to play and why?








Nova Reid- Hmmm, tough one...would have to be
something that is raw, gripping and real. I love to play roles that push me as
an actor and ultimately as a person. Playing a character that goes through a
yummy transition is wonderful. I’d like to play a part in a piece that makes
the audience really think about what they have just seen /
question their own behaviours. Like Paul
Haggis's Crash for example.







WMIFF MAG - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
10 years?







Nova Reid- I’d like to be married! Ha-ha. A nice work / life balance is important to me. I’d definitely like to have gotten my teeth into a few more features, that is something important for me to achieve. No doubt I will still be singing. I have recently dipped my toe into psychotherapy training - so who knows, I may also be a qualified psychotherapist. The way our minds work is fascinating, ESPECIALLY an actor’s mind!








WMIFF MAG - Where can people find out about you on
the web? Do you have any websites? Fan clubs?







Nova Reid- No fan clubs (yet)! But you can find me
at "http://www.novareid.com"
www.novareid.com










WMIFF MAG - If you could pick any actor or actress,
dead or alive, who would you want to play a part with? And why?







Nova Reid- Can I pick 2?! Will Smith - that man is so charismatic and a natural
actor. When i think of him in roles like Pursuit of Happyness...wonderful. He
would be great to feed off of,
I imagine
the energy he brings on set must be infectious. I would also like to play a
part with the late, elegant and versatile Lena Horne an inspirational woman who
helped pave the way for black actresses to appear on TV / film.












WMIFF MAG - Do you have any plans to play in any
future films, plays or TV shows?







Nova Reid - I have plans but whether or not they will come into fruition or not is another story. I will go wherever the journey takes me.







WMIFF MAG - What do you think is your best quality
to land you in the perfect role?







Nova Reid- Now this is a hard one. Hmmm, maybe my
vulnerability & honesty?







WMIFF MAG - What are you favourite types of films to
watch? Is this the type of film you would most enjoy doing?







Nova Reid- I am quite eclectic when it comes to
preference in films. So yes! I enjoy a good true story /
coming of age, something that makes the
audience really think and work hard! I also enjoy docu-thrillers, comedy and a
good rom-com. So long as the performances are honest I enjoy a diverse range of
films, I think the same applies to me as an actress, as long as there is
honesty in the script / characters, I can enjoy it.







WMIFF MAG - As far as your acting career, what have
you found to be the most challenging?










Nova Reid- Most challenging is continuing to believe
in yourself and in your talent when you are out of employment. Staying in
continuous employment is not easy, the acting world is a tough, competitive and
over-subscribed industry and not all of us are fortunate enough to walk from
one role into the next.







WMIFF MAG - If someone was interested in becoming an
actress, what would you recommend them to do about it?







Nova Reid- First thing I would do is ask them if
they were 100% sure and if they are prepared to work hard and if they are ready
to learn to love the word 'no'! If they then say yes, I'd say the most
important thing is to be true to yourself, absorb and learn from others, you
can never stop learning as an actress. Be tenacious, kind and patient and find
other interests that keep you going when the acting world is stagnant!







WMIFF MAG - Are there any last words that you'd like
to say to the audience?







Nova Reid- Thank you for reading and I hope you get
to enjoy DSU, described by the director as “perfectly imperfect”, I would have
to agree! :o)












To check out Nova's nominee clip, go here


.






No comments:

Post a Comment